Central Lutheran Church
Established in 1904

Central Lutheran Church was organized in 1904 when the city of Everett was only 12 years old. On December 6, 1904, a meeting took place at the home of Hans Solie. It was agreed upon to start a church: "Ebenezer Forenet Norsk Evangelisk Lutherske Menighed," or, in English, "Ebenezer United Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation." On December 13, 1904, the official organizational meeting took place at the home of Arnt Gravrock. Charter members came from 12 Norwegian families. For years, the preaching, singing, and Sunday School were all in Norwegian.  in 1913, it was decided all Sunday services would  be in English. 

The first services were held at an old store building on the corner of Broadway and California . In 1905 it was decided to rent the YMCA auditorium for church services. That same year, two lots on the corner of Everett and Rockefeller were purchased and  the first church structure was built with volunteer labor. The first Sunday worship service in the new building was held on June 6, 1905.

In 1917, work on the new church building began. On December 18, 1919, the name of the church was officially changed to Ebenezer English Lutheran Church. In October 1920, the basement was completed and dedicated, and a parsonage was built on the small parking lot space behind the present sanctuary. On April 7, 1926, the name of the church was changed to Central Lutheran Church. Shortly after, the present sanctuary was completed and on October 17, 1926 , it was dedicated. 

In the mid-1940's, the church began to grow rapidly. There was a push to purchase two additional lots directly south of the church and Central's first parish worker was hired.  From the late 1940's to the early 1960's, the church attendance averaged 350-400 per Sunday, Sunday School over 200, and the baptized members equaled about 900-1200 people.  The present Education wing was dedicated in June 1963. In 1974, our Casavant organ was installed and completely paid for at a dedication concert. In the early 1980's the Central Lutheran Preschool was started.

Our Pastors

1904 - 1906            Rev. A.J. Haugen
1906 - 1907            Rev. I. J. Skrondal
1907 - 1913            Rev. O.J. Edwards
1913 - 1915            Rev. N. J. Holm
1916 - 1919            Rev. R. Bogstad
1919 - 1921            J.A.E. Naess, D.D
1922 - 1927            Rev. O.J. Edwards
1927 - 1945            Rev. A.K. Vinje
1945 - 1954            Rev. Jerrold L. Moilien
1954 - 1956            C. P. Rasmussen, D.D
1956 - 1964            Rev. Herb Ringo
1965 - 1968            Rev. Jim Peterson
1969 - 1981            Rev. Silas Erickson
1970 - 1973            Rev. Jerry Bongard
1974 - 1979            Rev. Rich Eggen
1981 - 1990            Rev. Chris Boerger (Later ELCA NW WA Synod Bishop)
1983 - 1985            Rev. Mark Samuelson
1987 - 1989            Rev. Gene Stime
1990 - 1991            Rev. Paul Running
1991 - 2013            Rev. Jeff Russell
2013 - 2015            Rev. Mike Swain
2015 - 2021            Rev. Jeremy Fuerst
2022-present        Rev. James Killough


Central Lutheran Church has a rich history of serving as an internship congregation. Over the course of a year, interns learn the ins and outs of parish ministry - preaching, teaching, leadership, pastoral care, and all the skills not learned in a classroom.  Beginning in 1993, Central Lutheran hosted a new intern every year for 20 years.

1993-1994    Leslie Barnett
1994-1995    Kari Toavs
1995-1996    Darin Erisman
1997-1998    Katy McCallum
1998-1999    Glen Aaberg
1999-2000    Shana Tischaefer
2000-2001    Jen Lapinskas
2001-2002    Reggie Klindworth
2002-2003    Catrina Ciccone
2003-2004    Jo Quanbeck
2004-2005    Matt Prasek
2005-2006    Chris Cormack
2006-2007    Sheila Rawn
2007-2008    Joel Langholz
2008-2009    Leslie Neist
2009-2010    Megan Koepnick
2010-2011    Katie Emery
2011-2012    Annette Andrews-Lux
2012-2013    Emily Wiles
2013-2014    C.J. Boettcher
2020-2021    Pam Karas